Pages

05/04/2015

SWCM "privilege"

I worry If I transition to male as an ftm, I’ll be labeled as a “privileged and oppressive male” by people. Even though transmen do benefit from male privilege after they transition, if they had a female identity before, they didn’t benefit from male privilege and were just as oppressed as females. More so, we don’t have cis privilege. I’m afraid of expressing this idea on tumblr.
Especially as a straight white ftm… Even if I eventually pass 100% of the time as a straight white man, it doesn’t mean I grew up that way. 
Yeah, there are people out there with much worse to deal with, but it bothers me to think that people who I’ll eventually come to know and love (who will only know me as a SWCM) will see me and think of the privileges I’ve had, and the “ease of life” I must have lived…
-ekobor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thoughtful reply