Pages

26/01/2015

Be your own role model

   || I worry If I transition to male as an ftm, I’ll be labeled as a “privileged and oppressive male” by people. Even though transmen do benefit from male privilege after they transition, if they had a female identity before, they didn’t benefit from male privilege and were just as oppressed as females. More so, we don’t have cis privilege. I’m afraid of expressing this idea on tumblr.


This is something I was also worried about before I came to terms with transitioning and accepted the responsibility I want myself to hold. My whole life, I’ve had an incredibly difficult time finding men in my life that I could look up to wholeheartedly. This made me question what it meant to be a man and made me scared to transition and identify with the label that so many hurtful people around me also identified with. I’m still working on finding male role models that I can trust and look up to, but I’ve decided that the fact that nearly all of my role models are women does not take anything away from me and does not make me any less of a man. I don’t need to be taught what it means to be a good, kind-hearted man. I just need to always work towards being the best human being I can be. I will be the male role model I’ve always looked for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a thoughtful reply